Saturday, September 23, 2006

Legacies


Nikki Giovanni


her grandmother called her from the playground
"yes, ma’am"
"i want chu to learn how to make rolls" said the old
woman proudly
but the little girl didn’t want
to learn how because she knew
even if she couldn’t say it that
that would mean when the old one died she would be less
dependent
on her spirit so
she said
"i don’t want to know how to make no rolls"
with her lips poked out
and the old woman wiped her hands on
her apron saying "lord
these children"
and neither of them ever
said what they meant
and I guess nobody ever does
– Nikki Giovanni

2 comments:

Gendy said...

Hey! You have a blog. I completely get everything you are talking about in this post. Our parents, our mothers especially, are really the only ones in this world who love us and care for us simply because we exist. And when that goes, it's...unspeakable. The only way out of the pain is through it, I guess. Anyway, I just wanted you to know I'm thinking good things of and for you.

Reginald said...

I don't even have the proper words to say how beautiful this piece is...The subject of death is never a pretty thing but in the hands of a skilled writer it can be appealing...I hate to sound like a fan....but for me you are the best thing to come along in literature since Zadie Smith...I mean that man...Take care bro...