Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Redbone Press Up for Three Awards

When I got my publishing deal with Redbone Press, it was more significant to me than I can actually put into words. I was thrilled to be on a Black-owned press. Even more thrilled that it was owned by a lesbian (fierce ruling diva, Lisa Moore.) It was a relief to be on Redbone after years of being told by agents and publishers that they liked my work a lot (they keep you on that Sally Field...) but had no idea what to do with my writing. I was often told the work was too black or not black enough, too gay or not gay enough. If I would only pick "one" identity box to check, then maybe I could get a publishing deal. I think the bigger problem was that I don't "act" gay or black, don't make a performance of my identity/identities in my writing. I just be what I be. With Redbone, none of that was an issue.

It's exciting to be part of a cultural legacy that stretches back to the small but hugely influential and immeasurably important indie black publishing houses of the '60s and '70s. Lisa has the same drive and passion that drove the visionary men and women behind those upstarts. I'm proud to be on the same roster as Samiya Bashir, Sharon Bridgforth, G. Winston James, Ana-Maurine Lara and Marvin K. White. And we just recently found out that three Redbone titles have been nominated for Lambda Literary Awards. They are:

Ana-Maurine's novel, Erzulie's Skirt.
The anthology of writing on black spirituality and sexuality, Spirited: Affirming the Soul and Black Gay / Lesbian Identity.
My book, Blood Beats: Vol. 1 Demos, Remixes & Extended Versions

And now, to celebrate the nominations: The Blood Beats Dancers...

1 comment:

Lisa C. Moore said...

Awwww.... thank you, Ernest! And congratulations to you! ...But you *do* know there's no money in the budget for the boy dancers, right? Right?!