Thursday, July 12, 2007

VIDEO CLIPS OF THE WEEK 2

      One of the trickier psychological aspects of what I do for a living is the celebrity interview process. You meet someone you’ve probably never met before but who usually comes shrouded in at least some myth or preconception, and you have to forge an immediate intimacy that both parties know is fake, that will hopefully unveil some truths, and is really about nothing more than selling product. It’s a lot of bullshit. Sometimes the subjects are game and it becomes a game of mutual seduction. Sometimes the basic human chemistry just doesn’t click and the whole thing becomes a nightmare. Luckily, I’ve met some really cool people who have made the process fun and illuminating: These guys, this sister duo, this genius (her rep has her marked as moody and difficult but all four times I’ve interviewed her, she’s been a sweetheart), and the greatness that is her. And then there’s Kim Hill. I probably can’t ever interview her again because she’s become a friend, and the conflict of interest would be major. I know I would just end up writing a press release. After the second interview, she turned to me and said, “You know you have to hurry up and run this so we can come out of the closet and be the friends we are meant to be.”
      She’s funnier and more dope than I’ve yet captured, which frustrates me. (I have interviewed her twice; both pieces will be in Blood Beats Vol. 2. One is previously unpublished; the other is here.) Check out these clips to get some idea of just how bad she is.





No comments: