Monday, November 19, 2007

Video of the Day



I love pop music. I'm not a Negro-on-some-next... To me, a really good pop song is the most amazing work of art. But my definition of "pop" encompasses a whole range of genres and moods. I recently reviewed the new Kenna CD (that review is coming up in this week's LA Weekly) and it forced me to pull out some old Rhino compilations of '80s New Wave hits. The music on those discs ranged from Marshall Crenshaw (undervalued genius) to Kajagoogoo (undervalued fluff) to Fun Boy Three. It all made me smile. And it all made me grateful to have been a teenager in Detroit (just named the most dangerous city in the country) when one radio station playlist could and would include the Bus Boys, Cherelle, the B-52s, Run DMC, Culture Club, Prince, Cyndi Lauper, the Time. This Blondie track predates all that by a few years but it sorta dovetails right into the mix. It's one of my all-time favorites. Pure, shimmering, perfect-world pop.

No comments: