Wednesday, May 14, 2008

The Odious Couple

I've made no secret of the fact that the "symbolism" of Obama sitting in the White House doesn't really impress me. My own politics are far too left (almost in caricature, admittedly) for me to swoon at "symbolism," no matter how powerful it may be. And while I do think there is enormous potential for change/rebirth/what-have-you with an Obama presidency, I think it primarily lies in his inspiring folks to roll up their sleeves and get involved, to turn hope into action they-own-damn-selves. That is not an inconsiderable thing. So despite my fervent belief that any candidate who even makes it this far in the race for president of the United States is already bought and owned, I do intend to cast my vote for him. I think the "symbol" might well translate into substance via what it means for and to real people, of all races, what it might move them to do for self and others.

I really had no feeling one way or another toward the Clintons when this race for the Democratic nomination began. I now think they're vile, odious people. Their race-card shenanigans peaked (but probably not) last week when Mrs. Clinton told USA Today, "I have a much broader base to build a winning coalition on." She then cited a United Press article, "that found how Senator Obama's support among working, hardworking Americans, white Americans, is weakening again, and how whites in both states who had not completed college were supporting me. There's a pattern emerging here."

That's old news, of course, and the Negro blogosphere had a field day ripping her a new asshole for the oil-soaked-keebler equation that white America = hardworking, real Americans. Her recent landslide win in the West Virginia primary played out just as her racist pandering intended, and this news video clip (shot just before the primary) makes it clear just who the Clinton fan base is, and how successfully she stroked them before they entered the voting booth:



Looking beyond the election, I think the days of Bill getting love in Harlem are over. No more fried chicken, peach cobbler and Negro good will floating through the sky. No more butter pecan air kisses. I imagine that from now on when Bill strolls Harlem streets, the air will be filled with those two classic ball competition dismissives. ("Ball" as in voguing, not Fred & Ginger.):

1) Boo, bitch, boo.

2) Ho, sit down.

Negro political commentary: Succinct, raw, unambiguous.

6 comments:

FNJ said...

There needs to be a site where all these punk ass racist clips can be compiled so that any deluded jackass who says race doesn't matter in this country can have access to all the proof that it does!

Danielle said...

I agree w/you on your assessment of Sen. Obama and what he represents. It is indeed powerful and will encourage the American people to get to work on this country.

walton muyumba said...

I thought of your post this morning as I was reading the NY Times article about the Jewish vote in Florida and Obama candidacy. The article describes similar brand of racism to the one at work in WV. I had to write something about the madness articulated in the piece. Check out my blog when you have a chance: http://studiowmuyumba.blogspot.com/.

ronnie brown said...

Black people are so desperate for a white person of stature to speak well of us we bestow "honor" where none is deserved...hence Bill Clinton, "the first Black President". It should be painfully clear by now that raw, naked AMBITION is what drives the Clintons...in the heat of running for President, Hillary and Bill's true colors are showing.

Jack said...

ugh... "hilary sings the star spangled banner better"? wtf??? barf.

ReggieH said...

This election has done more damage to the Clinton's than the entire "Vast Right Wing Conspiracy" did during Bill's presidency....or rather I should say HILLARY's CAMPAIGN has done the damage. They turn my stomach now, and I can easily see Bill slipping quietly out of Harlem in the middle of the night -- for his own safety.