Friday, April 09, 2010

New post(s) coming soon... I promise.

Apologies for the slackery. I have now mailed off two new book proposals, am still working on a third, and just signed on to co-edit an anthology that won't drop for a couple of years. But I've sorta missed blogging and I want to get back into it with some meaty stuff. Working on a couple of new posts right now. In the meantime, just for shits and giggles, I'm putting up a few Youtube clips meant to make you smile. The first is the latest from Jackie Beat & Co. in their ongoing, withering takedown of Cher and Madonna; it's called "Tent Hopping," and gets in some sly digs at cultural and sexual co-option/exploitation. But that makes it sound more dry than it is. The next clip is RuPaul's "Tranny Chaser" video, which is kind of flip-side 'hood version of "We Are the World," from a trans-centric perspective. (Peep the rainbow of colors, genders and styles that are upped here.) It dropped late last year so you likley have seen it already, but I wanted to give it a little more shine. The last entry is Jody Watley's classic video for "Friends," which is one of the most underrated music clips ever. It's a fusion of b-boys (the legendary Rakim!), drag queens and just plain fierceness. Watching Ru's clip reminded me of Jody's. Be well...





3 comments:

Tavia said...

I had slept on the Tranny Chaser vid ... thanks for that! Ru is like a fine wine getting better with time.

Stevie G said...

me like your mind.

Bret/Tino said...

As I type, I'm holdin the lappy, boppin around like its summer, 1989 to that track (u know how I feel about her). Interesting trio tho, yo, Theme? It's all drag...everybody, everywhere.

Oh yeah, thanks for pullin that knife out of my back (especially since u were the one who put it there)