Thursday, May 19, 2011

Rahsaan Patterson Interview

If you go to the website for Rahsaan Patteron's record label, Mack Avenue, they have up the bio I wrote for him for his latest CD, Bleuphoria. It's a very, very dope CD. I've had it on repeat for months now. I don't think Rah or the label were  crazy about the bio but they never got back to me to let me know one way or the other. I didn't even know they'd put it up until a moment ago when my RedBone Press publisher Lisa C Moore sent me a link to it, saying how much she liked it; she didn't know I'd written it. When I agreed to do the bio, I told the label I wanted to write it like a magazine profile. I didn't want to do the generic bio thing. What you see on the site is pretty much what I turned in. For the record, it's been eons since I wrote a music piece for any publication (that's not been my choice; I've just aged out of relevance for the music press), and I mainly make my living writing liner notes and film reviews now. I swore off writing bios years and years ago 'cause it's kind of a thankless gig, but I wrote this one for Rah 'cause I've always been a huge fan. As I said, the bio they have on the site is pretty much exactly what I turned in, except they inexplicably chopped off the very beginning, which was simply me setting up the interview by quoting lyrics from the song "God," from the new CD:

taking high chances
in this divine dance
in this divine dance
– “God” from Bleuphoria

For the entire bio/profile, go here: Mack Avenue. By the way, a longer, much more dope version of this interview will be in Blood Beats Vol. 3

2 comments:

Matthew said...

So envious. Just heard a 1:29 sample of "Ghost." Only 23 days to go...

Matthew said...

Damn it, Ernest! Bring on the review! ;)